ES Holidays

DE Holidays

BR Holidays

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Anybody just need out?

I do. And by 'out' I mean away. I'm sitting here on the couch in my living room, a place I've been so many times, all alone. Such a familiar place, and it depresses me to think that in all the places I could be right now, it's here. In this same place.

I was bored, so I went on facebook, and looked through some of my sibling's pictures of their recent adventure in the Dominican. It wasn't the first time I saw them. It makes me angry to look at them, but it also gives me a sense of excitement. Pictures of them all in crystal clear blue waters, pictures of them 4-wheeling through some of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. Pictures of them at their resort getting dresses up going out for dinner. I want to do that someday. But, in my eyes, that's nothing!

I want to see the wonders of the world, I want to walk the most deserted places in all the Earth, I want to visit such landmarks like the Taj Mahal, the Eiffel Tower, Rio de Jeneiro, Sydney Opera House, the Grand Canyon. I want to go bunjee jumping in New Zealand, see a baobob tree in Madagascar, look at Mt. Everest, walk through Times Square, ride a gondola through Venice, step foot on the deserts in Jordan. EVERYTHING. I'm only thirteen and still have a lot of life to live. But I'm hoping that I can do some of these things in this life because I feel like my life wouldn't be complete if I didn't travel. It is my passion and I know that for a fact.

All my life, since I knew that these things existed, I've wanted to experience them so badly, I can hardly describe it. I flew on an airplane for the first time a couple years ago, and honestly, it's one of my favorite things ever. I can't wait to go on a plane again. Just looking down at the Earth and trying to imagine how big it really is. Just seeing planes land and take off excite me.

There's a television show on OLN called Departures. My brother discovered it and got me hooked on it. It's about two Canadian guys who decide to drop everything, and just travel the world. I don't know how they did it, where the got the money or anything, but they did. They took a year and just traveled. I wish it was that simple.

If I was capable (and allowed of course), I would jump on a plane right now and go...anywhere. I wouldn't think twice, because I've wanted to travel for all my life. And it's frustrating because the only thing holding me back from that, is something as simple as a piece of paper. Money.

I've always dreamed of growing up, getting married, having kids, being successful in a job. I have no idea what that job is yet, and I have lots of time to figure it out, but I need to travel. I don't understand how anyone could not enjoy it.

I mean, I love my life now, I love my family, friends, my home, my community, my country! But I think sometime in my life I'm going to need to say goodbye to these things for a little while. It'll be hard, but it'll be worth it.

I don't even know what I'm trying to say. This isn't even a question, I'm just going on about my future, my passion, my dreams. All i know is, I just got bitten. I got bitten by the travel bug.






Answer :
Sounds fine.
Until you can start doing this for real, you could collect foreign postcards, currencies, souvenirs.
I think there are postcard-exchange clubs you can join where you promise to mail one to somebody in a foreign country if they mail you one. That should give you some inspirational wallpaper.
Maybe there is some Young Travelers club you could join?

Sites like couchsurfing.com are good for finding hosts to stay with.

Why not also write/email OLN Departures hosts and ask them for suggestions?

If you feel you want to do this for a living, not just wanderlust, you might start thinking of careers like travel journalist, snowboard instructor, wine sommelier, tour guide, resort rep, wandering bouzouki player...
Maybe you could get some small travel article published in some local newspaper.
Did you know that travel guides like Let's Go Guide hire lots of student researchers and fact-checkers every year - the pay sucks but you get to do what you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

IT Holidays

USA Holidays

JP Holidays

UK Holidays